Dealing with Mold Growth in Oahu, HI

Dealing with Mold Growth in Oahu, HI

A significant mold infestation can destroy your home – not to mention your health. Mold is tricky, though. You cannot just grab a sponge and scrub away at the growth. This just spreads mold spores in the air with each scrub motion. The reason mold grows is often because of high humidity, moisture levels, or hidden water damage somewhere in the home. These underlying causes must be dealt with first. Then, a professional can tackle mold remediation.

Mold Clean-up at Home

According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), if the mold growth in your home is less than 10 square feet, it is safe to handle the job yourself. Anything larger, however, would require a professional’s assistance. Even if the mold area is quite small, call in an expert to handle the situation if you feel uncomfortable tackling it on your own.

Here are a few tips from the EPA:

  • Start by resolving the underlying causes of the mold. In most cases, a plumbing leak or rainwater from a hole in the roof has led to the mold infestation you are now fighting. Dry everything entirely and salvage what you can.
  • You can scrub mold off hard surfaces using a mixture of detergent and water. Be sure you scrub the entire infestation off, then dry the surface completely.
  • Any absorbent materials, such as carpeting or ceiling tiles, may need to be tossed away due to the mold. Mold spores and growth can fill the porous space inside these materials, making it nearly impossible to remove entirely.
  • Avoid exposing yourself to mold contamination by wearing proper safety attire, including gloves and a respirator.
  • Do not use paint or caulk on a moldy surface. First, clean the mold thoroughly and dry the area properly. Only then can paint be applied to the region.
  • If an expensive or sentimental item is covered in mold, consult a mold specialist to handle the clean-up and restoration to avoid further damage.  

Mold Facts

The EPA, like Hawaii Restoration Services, is committed to educating the public regarding mold infestations in the home. Here are a few things you should know:

  • The potential health effects associated with mold include allergic reactions, asthma, irritation, depression, and other respiratory concerns.
  • You cannot eliminate all mold from an indoor environment. The best you can do is control mold growth via controlling moisture.
  • Reduce indoor humidity up to 60 percent with proper ventilation, air conditioning, dehumidifiers, and exhaust fans while cooking and cleaning.
  • If any building materials are soaked, you have up to 48 hours to clean and dry each piece before mold begins to grow.
  • Mold is found everywhere. Spores can spread to virtually any surface, as long as moisture is available. There are mold types that grow on wood, paper, carpeting, drywall, food, and more.

If you have a severe mold infestation in your home, consider your options carefully. Know that Hawaii Restoration Services is available around the clock to provide mold remediation. Please give us a call at (808) 468-7978!

We’ll Take Care of Your Property!

Get a FREE quote today! Call us anytime at (808) 468-7978
Fill out my online form.